Saturday, November 5, 2011

I just finished my first week of my first rotation. I have been working with Dr Swift in OBGYN. I have done some pap smears, fetal heart doppler monitoring, fundal height readings. He doesnt work on thursdays so I went to the maternal fetal monitoring and watched some ultrasounds. That was pretty cool. Then Friday was quite a day! THe morning started out with a psych pt who was 4 wks post op for hysterectomy and had re-opened her incision and was bleeding. profusely. So we cleaned her up and the Dr put in a stitch and then I bandaged her up. After that we went to surgery. Dr swift did 2 laparoscopies with laser. I got to put 1 stich in each of 2 pts. I was nervous because it was my first time stitching a live person. But it went well. He only had 2 pts so I stayed after and observed surgery w Dr. Lindsey Deschamps. She is close to my age and goes to our church. She did a cone biopsy and a D&C w endometrial ablation. Then I watched a toe amputation.
All in all it was a good week, and I only got pimped out a few times when I did not have a decent answer. I am definitely going to learn alot this next year of rotations!

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh D&C with ablation i would have liked to have seen that. Yesterday i worked in OB, after taking a pt BP 4 times it was still 150/90. She was preclamptic and the amniotic fluid was low. She told me she would watch her BP and when she got home. LOL need less to say she never went home. OB is a crazy world, ladies coming in with backache only to find they are dilated to a 9, STD's and crazy phone calls, yeeesh!i mostly work Family Practice and the two are worlds apart... Good luck and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fun to hear what you are doing! Ben told us yesterday about you stitching up bananas...too funny!

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Followers