Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Toe Nail !

so i got to do something cool this last week! I got to remove an ingrown toenail! Some people think its gross, but it was neat and Dr. Ellie let me do the whole thing by myself :) First i did a local - digital block - using 1% lidocaine without epinephrine and let that get numb. Then i inserted the tool underneath the nail to make a tunnel. Then i cut down the tunnel with a pair of surgical scissors, and finally i grabbed the nail and pulled up and out and pulled the nail off. It went really smooth. The pt was a 13 yr old boy who weighed 188 lbs and cried alot. I mean more than a girl, ha ha ! Then i wrapped it up and sent him home for the weekend. Overall it was a good procedure and I learned a lot by being able to do it with Dr. Ellie supervising me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Followers